Sorry for the delay of the 2# episode of Conside, which is due to the Chinese New Year. So in this episode we have a very Chinese topic—how the Red Envelope gifting tradition was reproduced on mobile apps. You will hear how WeChat, Alipay and QQ tried to step in digital Red Envelope and how this evolved into an annual battle. Behind these battles, there is actually a war of offline payment going on. As for the news, I talk about the sudden hit of Meitu on social media, and the step down of Hugo Barra as the VP of Xiaomi Global.
What to hear in this episode:
- News of the week (month)
- Meitu, a Chinese photo-editing app has gone viral on western social media, and caused some controversies in terms of tracking issue.
- Hugo Barra, Xiaomi’s Global VP, has left for Facebook to take charge of its VR business.
- Feature story: The Red Envelope Battle of 2017
- The tradition of Chinese Red Envelope explained
- How digital Red Envelope came into being
- The first Red Envelope battle between WeChat and Alipay
- The war of offline payment behind
- How WeChat, Alipay and QQ fight in this year’s Red Envelope battle
- What should we learn from such battles
The website of Conside: http://conside.fm
If you have any question or feedback. please kindly contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
or find me on twitter: @consideray